Friday, February 11, 2011

Adventures in "Next Blog"

To be completely honest, I'm new to blogs in general. I visit mainstream blog-format websites but I don't really read grandma's knitting blog. Until now. The "Next Blog" feature has taught me that every housewife with a hobby has a blog. Or has a blog as a hobby. They sometimes even blog about blogging (I heard you like blogs, etc.). I'm fascinated (and a little terrified) that I was able to find 3 blogs about miniatures within the course of about 10 minutes. Is it because they're related? I really don't understand now the feature works.

I sometimes wonder what the genesis of these women is. The type of women that are positive about everything, church goers and have hobbies like miniature collecting. Were you like this when you were young? Did you meet your husband at a craft fair? It's really so completely alien to me. You people are my neighbours, my friends' moms, my mom, my mom's friends, my aunts, my grandmothers. My female friends in 10 years. You were the teachers that got mad at me for throwing things at my friends in class and docked marks for not underlining every title with a ruler and not colouring in the lines. You are the women that shaped my childhood and will always represent female authority figures that like things that bore me. I'm honestly concerned for my future if an otherwise not boring girl can grow up to like things like stitching "HOME SWEET HOME" onto pillows. Do you understand what you've done to your spouse? I can only hope he collects trains or builds birdhouses or something.

Also, what decade is this? Why are there housewives that have 4 children under the age of 10 but no job? I get how it must work financially, but I don't get why a guy with enough ambition to support a family by himself would marry someone whose hobbies include having children and telling people on the internet about said children.

No comments:

Post a Comment