Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The internet is stupid

I have a thing with message boards. The entire time I've had access to the internet I've been posting on them. Primarily video game message boards, especially during my adolescence. I still visit and post on message boards, but I try to stay away from video game specific boards now. The reason? People are idiots. Console fanboys are what did it mostly. I thought I had escaped... but sometimes the internet will follow you places.

Enter (the) Dragon Age 2. I loved Dragon Age: Origins and apparently so did a lot of people on the internet. I played it on PC. Apparently so did they, because they hate how DA2 is "consolefied" or whatever. They made this judgement before the game was released, mind you, and somehow managed to get their user reviews on Metacritic before the game was released. They must have industry connections! Truly they are superstar video game critics!

I played and finished DA2. It's superior to DAO in virtually every way. I have a fondness for the original, don't get me wrong, but DA2 is simply more fun and tells a more memorable story in my opinion. It's shorter, less expansive, flawed... but DAO was just as flawed in many similar ways. And it's still damn long. I'm a bit of a slowpoke/completionist and DA2 took me 50 hours as opposed to DAO's 80 hours. 30 hours is a pretty big difference, but I was far more familiar with the gameplay this time and 50 hours is nothing to sneeze at.

The big complaints seem to be that you can no longer select your race, you can no longer zoom the camera all the way out, and you have less diverse environments to explore. All valid complaints I suppose, but if these people actually played the damn game I'm sure they'd enjoy it and give it more than a 0 on Metacritic. Dragon Age 2 addiction is the reason nobody has updated this blog in 3 weeks. I personally think it could have benefited a lot form an extra 6 months or so of development, but I played the hell out of it regardless so I'm satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment